The Parent-School Partnership program is designed to assist children with autism spectrum disorders to reach their maximum potential in the educational system. The program will build collaboration between parents and schools, recognizing that both are essential partners in the child‘s education.
- To facilitate partnerships between school personnel and the parents of students with autism.
- To strengthen mutual respect and understanding between parents and school personnel.
- To join parents and schools in guiding each child toward knowledge and independence.
Support for Families:
- Helps families establish positive working relationships with school personnel.
- Provides families with information and training about autism.
- Helps families understand special educational rights and responsibilities.
- Provides support in the referral process with other agencies.
- Encourages parents to be active participants in their child‘s education.
- Parent Mentors attend IEP meetings with families on request.
Support for Schools:
- Encourages collaboration and teamwork between schools and families.
- Acts as a resource for schools on issues relating to autism spectrum disorders.
- Provides information and training to schools.
- Accepts referrals for families who might benefit from program resources.
- Helps schools to involve parents in the education process.
Click on Contacts above to reach the Parent School Partnership Parent Mentor for your county:
- AJ Dearybury (864-757-1596): Cherokee, Chester, Greenville, Laurens, Lancaster, Spartanburg, Union, York
- Chantelle Patton (864-607-7623): Abbeville, Anderson, Some Greenville, Greenwood, Pickens, Oconee
- Dandrea Woolridge (843-762-2713): Beaufort*, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Hampton*, Jasper*, Orangeburg 3 & 4
- Dawn Thomas (803-309-3218): Aiken, Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Edgefield, McCormick, Saluda
- Kim McHugh (803-333-0343): Darlington, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lee, Lexington 1 & 2, Orangeburg 5, Rich/Lex 5, Richland 1 & 2, Sumter
- Melissa Weathersby (803-269-4061): Calhoun, Lexington 1, 2, 3, 4, Newberry, Rich/Lex 5
- Laura Mariotti (843-246-5933): Chesterfield*, Clarendon, Dillon, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Marion, Marlboro*, Williamsburg
The South Carolina Autism Society is a 501(c)(3) organization, and a registered charity in the state of South Carolina. Almost 90% of total expenses go to program services. Click here for more information.